05 August 2009

Tour de Eiffel...

I know I've posted photos on the Eiffel Tower before. But, every time I see it, it still blows my mind...AND since the apartment is within a short walking distance from it, it's very easy to get to and just soak in!

The photos start at the Palais de Chaillot, right before the Trocodero and then Eiffel. If I guessed right, the Eiffel Tower is about 1300 meters from Palais de Chaillot, or just shy of a mile away, and the walk is very packed with tourists. More so now than when I was here in February.

This is the view as I come around the corner of the one side of the Palais de Chaillot. So stunning, and still so massive!!
This is the "plaza" in between the two sides of the Palais de Chaillot. People sit on these sides and read, eat, take a break, watch the throngs of people that visit.
These are one side of the massive steps that head down toward the Trocodero. I hope this photo shows how massive they are. There is an equal sized one behind me going perpendicular to these steps which lead to that "plaza", and the same on the opposite side.
These people, the French Africans, are ruthless in selling tourist knickknacks. He ran into my shot, shaking his ring of Eiffel Tower key chains and asking if I wanted to buy. From the time I hit the "plaza", I'd already been "asked" no less than 6 times. As I walked past the Eiffel, I had been asked another 7 times. They are so fast and group up and it gets rather intimidating at times. When cops show, they bolt. Interesting.
There are great big statues scattered through the Trocodero. They're absolutely impressive!
The fountains at the Trocodero...it really felt great to get a spray from them on such a hot and sunny day!
At the end of the Trocodero is this pool and these matching statues, one on either side. If you can see in the far corner, there's a carousal. I've shot that and posted it before.
When I finally got across the Seine and to the park where the Eiffel Tower is, I was shocked how insanely packed it was. All I saw were lines. You can get tickets at the 4 corners of the base and there were ONLY people. Can you see why I haven't yet gone up?
From underneath the Eiffel Tower.
Such a beautiful piece of art!
This park, behind the Eiffel Tower, is called Parc du Champ de Mars and the paths are dirt. Which I'm guessing is the same(ish) since the 1700s or earlier, which is pretty cool! Though, I did see a woman in heels struggling on the rockiness of it...I don't think she was a true Parisian. These trees line the paths and are so interesting to look at! They've been trimmed and pruned possibly as long as the park has been there!
A couple of Parisians.
At the end of the Parc, there is some sort of artistic monument, which, if you walk right down from it, lines perfectly up with the Eiffel Tower.
The words on this glass and on the pillars are in many foreign languages, I couldn't find any that I could understand, unfortunately, to tell you what they say! There were some protesters or something bringing light to the (bad) world of nuclear domination...I think. I only picked out a couple words to be honest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment