05 August 2009

Grand Palais and Petit Palais - I see the "Grand", don't see the "Petit". Must be a French thing.

On my long walk that I took yesterday (worked out to be 12,700 meters, or just shy of 8 miles), I experienced a lot of visually stunning pieces of French history. Not sure what all this history actually is, seeing as though I don't remember much of my European History classes in High School, but I can imagine grand things happening, especially since everything IS so grand!

These photos are of the "markers" at the start of the Alexandre III bridge crossing the Seine.
Hope this photo isn't too rude. After I posted it, I thought it could offend someone. I saw it as a beautiful piece of artwork on some of the lamps across this bridge.
These two figures are side by side on the outside of this bridge, looking over the boats that pass underneath.
This lion statue is at the top of the stairs that go down to the quays, where people can pick up a boat ride.
Immediately on the other side of the lion statue is this small park.
This is one of the entrances to the Grand Palais.
Some of the beautiful artwork on the exterior of the Grand Palais.
Statues outside the main entrance to the Grand Palais.
So, the last time I was here, I didn't see this. It took my breath away, seeing these brightly colored panels on the inside of this beautifully ornate hand carved building.
There were scaffolding up on the outside, and from the glass barrier here, I'm guessing there is work being done in renovating the interior. An artist was commissioned to do this panel that blocked off the entire interior of the Grand Palais.
A couple of places, the color was peeled off in a triangle, to follow form, so people could peer in and see the grandeur.
The doors, looking at the Petit Palais, though you cannot see it now.
The Petit Palais. Nothing so petite, I think.
What kinda made me laugh is there is no visible ramp going into the Palais for someone who might be IN a wheel chair that would use this space on the street in front. Hmm.
I was wanting to go inside, but had no cash on me for a ticket. Will definitely do that, though!
As you can probably tell, the French love their sculptures.
More of the Petit Palais.
This photo is a little over exposed, but I really wanted to see the sculpture reflection of the Grand Palais in the window...

No comments:

Post a Comment