03 August 2009

Parisian Flea Market

Whenever I thought of going to Paris, I generally came to the dreamy thoughts of Parisian Flea Markets where one can find beautiful antiques, chandeliers, art, fashion jewelry and knickknacks. I had to see at least one Paris Flea Market while here.... I found one and well, I got beautiful antiques, chandeliers, art, fashion jewelry and knickknacks. Though it was pretty much similar to other foreign flea markets I've been to, it did have a certain French flair that is unmistakeable. Here are some photos from that Saturday morning, I hope it gives you a good idea of what it was like!

I was truly in heaven here, as I saw old brooch after old beautiful brooch! When I make it big and fabulous in this world, I'll return and buy up all the beautiful brooches at the Parisian flea market! I'm dead set!
Here's some beautiful vintage clothes from the early 1900s! I REALLY liked the white outfit! Seemed quite Parisian. Though I doubt my left thigh wouldn't even fit in the waistband of the skirt. Shame.
This old display box was more packed than I had ever seen a display box before. It also had faux grass on the bottom. Classy.
This old suitcase, filled with glasses, had a tiny mirror at the top for people to look into to see themselves with the glasses.
This is a lamp shade! It was so pretty! Most likely handmade!
More early 1900s art!! No Monet though!
Some BEAUTIFUL delicate hats at this stall and some handmade floral arrangements.
Buttons. Lotsa buttons.
These photos just don't do it justice.
Pieces like these were all over! I had just gone to a museum of modern art and saw some paintings by a man named Buffet and was quite impressed by his early 1900s work. As I was looking at the art at this flea market, I stumbled upon a charcoal sketch...by Buffet! I would have definitely gotten it had I had 60 Euros on me! What a treat THAT would have been!
I was taken aback when I saw one of the greatest photographers of the 20th century's original prints just sitting on a table. His stuff is so beautiful!
I know you want a big bronze monkey.
I find it rather humorous that this lady is sitting in a van just like the monkey.
It amazes me that one can really find some beautiful things at a dirty street flea market...
At home, I have tried to find old frames for my work and have hardly had any success. There were more frames here than I had ever seen in my months and months of antique frame searching!
Oh the knickknacks. Tough to get in the middle though to find that perfect knickknack you never knew you needed!
A book anyone?
This display really makes you wanna find a magazine, doesn't it?
Unfortunately, none of the masses of hats actually fit my enormous head. So sad.
I've seen hands like these in shop front display windows. Kinda cool. Though that is a lonely looking doll.
Dead critter, anyone?
These things that look like bracelets are actually different amounts of money. The lighter they are, the smaller the denomination. The big ones are VERY heavy!
Some African masks.
There were so many beautiful African sculptures on the bridge part of the flea market.
This is what the street on the other side of the bridge that ran parallel to the main flea market. It's the "garage sale" of Parisian flea markets. Essentially, whatever trinkets very poor people can find and sell, they come here and make their own flea market.
This particular "stall" was selling only these shoes and a single pair of boots behind it. I heard a woman ask in English how much for the boots, the man said 20 Euro, then quickly 10 Euro and when she didn't reply, quickly said 1 Euro. She walked away from the boots, unfortunately.
This was the only thing the person was selling. It sat lonely by the tree.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, geeeze. French Flea Markets! The heck with museums! I'd spend all my time at the markets! If you wanna find something for yer Mum from France, bring her back some vintage buttons or ribbon from a flea market.

    Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, this blog drives me nutts! So wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete