05 August 2009

Images of an old war.

On the opposite end of the Parc du Champ de Mars is a building called Ecole Militaire. As I looked at it, I noticed old bullet holes scattered all over the exterior. Not sure when these happened, but I'm guessing it could be multiple revolutions and wars. It's pretty cool to think that here are the images of wars from the past, something that isn't always evident in American architecture!

Not sure if you can see very well, but the dots all over this exterior are bullet "wounds".
When I glanced inside this hole, I noticed a point, where I'm guessing is where the actual bullet ended up landing. Shame it didn't show better!
At first, I didn't think twice about this window. Then I realized it was a big slab of wood with the frame and pane built on to appear as a blacked out window. There are also bullet holes scattered around the frame.
Can never resist photographing pillars and detailed and ornate rooftops! I just find them so incredibly beautiful! These are all hand carved! *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. Oh, geeeze, the hand carving! I really liked the pic of the wall with the yellow flowers along the path. Contrast of very old and savaged surface with delicate flowers with a whisper of a life by comparison.

    ReplyDelete