19 August 2009

A night on the Seine...

Last week was a rough week. Brandon and Adam had to go to Hamburg, Germany for work for 6 days. They took their computers, which kept me from "the world", so it was my intention to go every day out wandering and exploring Paris. My back decided to start acting up on Monday (the day after they left), and didn't stop hurting until Saturday morning (which ironically was the day Brandon and Adam were set to return), which scared me a lot. I was essentially alone. I HAD to rely solely on Christ to get me through. Last week was a trusting week, rough though it was. On Monday, after I got up and ready, God continually whispered in my ear to just walk and enjoy Paris. I was set to meet a friend from the UK who was in town for her holiday, and I ended up missing her by 30 minutes because of how slow I was going with my back pain. I was discouraged, waited but decided to not let my day go to waste, so I did what God whispered to me. Tuesday through Friday were just the same with the pain. My days were long and exhausting. Tuesday morning, I really struggled. God whispered to me to turn on my worship songs on my ipod and get out and walk. Walk, walk, walk. I did that, and knew I was emotionally thin and the first song that played was "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns.


Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a Sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again "boy, you'll never win!
"You'll never win"

But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them looking down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me

I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

As I walked, trusting in God to be my All, especially during this week, my back loosened up. It was still a long and rough week since every day I woke with back pain and was still alone. But alone was good because it wasn't truly alone. I had a wonderful time with God as we both walked the streets of Paris, seeing it's beauty. Friday night, I decided to go out at 8.30 pm, instead of my usual 10 am. I wanted to see Paris, The City of Lights. The photos below are just a few (though they seem a lot) of the photos I took that night. It was so beautiful and I was emotional because I was not with Brandon seeing such beauty and it was so very romantic, but I spent it with God and that too is very beautiful! God wooed me this week and I'm a happy girl! Pain free too! Thank you Jesus!


There are a handful of bridges crossing the Seine, crossing onto the two different islands. I weaved my way, back and forth across about 4 or 5 bridges, then walked to the Notre Dame to
see it lit up. I know there are a lot of photos, but the colors were soooo spectacular and it was as though I needed to try and capture the atmosphere...I hope they don't bore you!
That is the Notre Dame lit up. That's the target I'm aiming for!
Just a side note, whenever you're in Paris at night, DO NOT lean on any of the bridge railings. I have NEVER seen so many spiders in one place at one time. And they aren't they tiny whitish ones either. They're big and black. Possibly quarter to a silver dollar in size. Totally gave me the hee-bee-gee-bees. Ask Abby what happens when one gets those. Eww.
Care for a day on the beach? Paris style?
This is a posh dinner boat. As it slowly went underneath the bridge, I looked through the plexi-glass (who'da thought plexi-glass would be associated with posh) and saw really fancy dinners happening. Awww. *Sniff sniff*
Gosh, just look at that view!!! Stunning!
That building is Hotel de Ville, not a hotel at all. It's the City Hall and there was a huge concert being played right in front... Not sure who played, but it sounded great!
Gosh, still so beautiful!
By this point, it was close to 10 pm and still, tons of people out enjoying street performers, the music, the water, and the views!
Here's Hotel de Ville.
This is one of the old flower stalls in a huge area on the main island that has been selling flowers for hundreds of years.
Miss Dame.
Still now, takes my breath away!
I was amazed at how many people were still lingering at 10pm-ish at night, so I just stood still, put my camera taut at my waist and snapped. I love these pics because it shows the busyness of the plaza and the stillness at once.
At the far end of the plaza.
I was trying to get the full feel of the area and how large it is with these two photos.
As I was walking back, I took closer up photos of the gargoyles and details of the parts of the Notre Dame that most people don't photograph.
A side door.
This is the point of the second, smaller island, where people will sit and just chill, watching boats pass on the far side.
The Notre Dame is seen in between the two buildings in the front.
Hotel de Ville.
Some local, enjoying the fresh air, the views, the music and the people walking by. His view is literally, looking over the street and then the Seine. Lucky!

2 comments:

  1. COWABUNGA! No wonder you had such mixed feelings! Missing Biggie during such an amazing photo shoot. There are a couple of the bridges that reeely ring my chimes. Of course, the very last one is phenomenal! My, you've captured Notre Dame. I couldn't help but recall the series of paintings by Monet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separately, your account of your walking with the LORD and the lyrics of that amazing song are a treasure. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete