05 August 2009

Les Invalides: a place for invalides. How nice.

Louis XIV initiated a project in 1670 as a home and hospital for the old and soldiers who aren't doing well. It was eventually became the final resting place of Napoleon and now, it is the burial site of his family, many military soldiers who served under him and other French military heros. There is also a few military museums inside as well with many displays of ornate canons in different sizes and styles.

Yes, it's absolutely enormous.
The grounds around it are very lovely and well manicured.
Need any gold? These doors are huge too.
Nice inner courtyard, BEFORE the actual inner courtyard. AKA pre-inner courtyard.
View from the real inner courtyard. Of course, I go straight for the architecture!
As I wander around the covered walkway on the ground floor, there are different rooms that branch off...most are now museums or office rooms.
And here's a chapel.
And the organ, which was playing when I walked in!
Here's the front and it's behind glass...tough to see clearly, but it's a huge "something or other"!
Back outside in the covered walkway. Can you tell I love repetition?
Here are some of the beautifully crafted handles on the canons.
My guess is, these are "handles" to direct where the canon is supposed to go before it goes off. Technical description, I know. I'm so smart.
Here's a MONGO canon. I liked the weathering on the underbelly. Kinda zebra-like.
Off upstairs!
There were a few statues on the corner, and this one seemed to tell a cool story. I don't think he's getting shot, though. My take is it is a victory stance.
All over this place, there showed signs of weathering and aging. This half wall has somewhat fallen apart, though not structural!
What a view! It IS just as huge as it appears!
I love the shadows these windows created!
Haha!
One thing I noticed was in the middle of each "wall", were a form of a clock. This one is the modern clock, the others were more of sun dials in different ways depending on how the wall faced the sun. Pretty smart!
This statue is behind/below the pillars/clock.
Museum-like displays of military funeral carts. Morbid, kinda. I just think it's very interesting to see what it used to be like in the 1700s!
The "back"...or "front" door. I don't know for sure, but, my guess is gold-leaf = front door, carved wood = back door.
I think this is the back side of this place. Can't be certain since it's still so ornate. Ah well.
The view from the street facing the possible "back" door!

1 comment:

  1. You love rhythm? So does your Mother! Wish there were a place at each pic to comment. Who (in America) would ever think to make a canon (instrument of carnage) ornate and beautiful!!! I LOVE the deep perspective of the arched hall and of the wrought iron fence/gate. If I were in an art class, I'd love to take some (many) of your pics and do abstractions from the positive/negative space. Good work, Girlie!

    ReplyDelete