08 June 2009

Truly interesting night...

(Fiona at not the best angle, but she refuses to let me take a good photo of her!)
I spent my day with a lovely Parisian (which usually would be a contradiction, but she defies typical Parisian personalities) named Fiona. I forgot a couple rather necessary things at home that would complete a few outfits so she took me to H&M. We met at the Metro stop near the shop and she showed up with her sweet and bouncy Pomeranian pooch. We wandered through shops (dog-bag thrown over her shoulder with a highly mouthy pooch shoved inside) and had a great time. She is truly a sweet girl (she's the girlfriend of Adam, Brandon's business partner) and half way through our wandering, she asked if I wanted to go to dinner with her, her father and his girlfriend. Normally, I wouldn't only because the evening is a good time for Brandon and me to re-connect after a day apart, but tonight, they have a going away dinner party to go to for a colleague and so I stayed with Fiona and went with her to dinner. I met her father who teaches French to foreigners and is very silly, though his English is really not so good and his girlfriend who's Argentinean (I believe that is what Fiona said...) and who's English is much better.


We left the mouthy pooch at her dad's place and walked down the road to what he claims is the best Chinese food in all of Paris. That might be, but I didn't necessarily think it was all that great. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but it wasn't what I would normally would have gotten. Firstly, it was in French and Chinese so I had to have Fiona and Ms. Argentina translate with as many descriptive words as possible until I guessed. One dish though, I did not guess correctly until it was placed on our plate. It was the critter I loathe the most. It was fresh sock puppets from hell...aka eel. I opted to NOT try that because I do not think I could have stomached that, and thankfully they also ordered a beef dish. Although, I now wish I didn't ask what it was. I wish I were more like Abby who is in Bangkok eating whatever is put in front of her without asking what it is. It just looked wrong. Alas, I am not that brave. So, here I sat, the only American who speaks English and German and a smidgen of French and even more of a smidgen of Chinese in a Chinese restaurant with a Parisian girl my age who speaks fast and wonderfully accented English, her father who has an even more thick accent and speaks little English, and his girlfriend who's Argentinean and has a fabulous accent and speaks fluent French with British words thrown in her English as she made fun of her boyfriend as he tries to tell stories in Franglish (French-English)...all while the people behind us are talking in Chinese and French. It was weird. Very cultural, I guess.


Pretty much what the sock puppet from hell dish looked like, but with some shoots with it instead of alone. They also didn't have all this sauce covering it. It showed the meat and how it was bumpy and all ewww. Total bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment