11 June 2009

All the world's a sign...

One of the things that's enjoyable here are the different signs that I see because it reminds me I'm in a foreign country living with a people group who are really quite like me; who aren't supposed to park there, drive here, enter there, who may pick up a taxi here, find the right street and may access that here. There's also a frustrating bit because it reminds me constantly that I don't know French.... But, I still love seeing these signs because I'm experiencing a new culture and it's flat out more fun than frustrating, trying to figure out what these signs mean, and laughing at the silliness of some of the signs! It's kinda like the sign I found when living in London. It had a black silhouette of a dog with "stuff" behind it and "smelly smoke" wafting up from the dog "stuff". There was a big red X over the dog and it's "stuff". The sign said "Do not let your dog foul the grass." It's funny things like this that keep me looking at signs - to see if I can find a funnier one than the last, or a quirkier one, or a more confusing one for foreigners (since signs are supposed to be rather universal!) As modernity has crept in, it's enjoyable to see the old with the new right next to it. The older the building, the more interesting the new seems to be. Here are a few signs I've found thus far.

1 comment:

  1. You're a stitch! Love the signs subject. Who woulda thought! I've gotten rave reviews from a friend who looked at both your blog and Abby's. She just went on and on! I know why...(smug Mum)

    ReplyDelete