05 June 2009

Being fooled by the sun...

I commented to my mom the other day, that the reason I keep missing our targeted phone call/skype call time is because the sun is fooling me. Big time. We are set to talk at 9pm Paris time. But at 9pm Paris time, it looks more like 6pm Minnesota time (from what my eyes are used to! AND, we're just sitting down to eat by then! Aah, such is the life in Paris!)


Today, the sun rose at 5.49am and will set at 9.50pm. Now, I just looked up the sunrise and sunset times in Minneapolis for today, and the sunrise surprised me - at 5.28am. Sunset does not though. 8.56pm. An entire hour earlier than here! This is quite odd for me. I'm used to having the sun set no later than about 9pm! The latest the sun will set in Minneapolis is 9.04pm by the end of June, and the earliest the sun rises is 5.26am by the middle of June. And, for those real nerds out there who wish to be nerdy with me, the length of the longest day is 15h 37m 06s. Now, in Paris, the earliest the sun will ever rise is 5.47am by the middle of June and the latest 9.58pm by the end of June. (Alright, you fellow nerds...) the longest day here is a fabulous 16h 10m 52s.


It's so weird, I looked outside last night at about 11pm and it looked like it was still light out - the clouds were pink. It's very weird to have it still light out so late at night. I'm guessing it was the sun, but it could have been the Paris lights! There are a lot of them! Though, the night usually looks orange with all the Paris lights...so, I'm guessing this was the tail end of the sunset!

So before all the comments come about what a nerd I am, I know I am. Especially today. But YOU try and get used to the time via how light it is outside! You too will be fooled!

(And Mom, I'm definitely working on making our 9pm call on time this time!)

2 comments:

  1. Lordy! every picture you post is worthy of study. Frustrating because of time limitations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but unfortunately, I did not take these pictures! I forgot to mention that! Opps! Thanks Google Images!

    ReplyDelete